We left Salen just before eight thirty this morning with the intention of heading for Lochaline. However, with the weather forecast for tomorrow not looking that great we decided to head back to Kerrera instead where we would get on with some laundry and other stuff we want to catch up on. We will have plenty of time to visit Lochaline next week. We are picking up our mutual friend Gary on Thursday so we will spend tomorrow getting some supplies and possibly a visit to the Oban Inn.

There was a good F4/5 wind blowing when we left Salen and we made good use of it as we motor  sailed down Loch Sunart.  Alan saw an otter in the water but unfortunately it was too far away for us to get a decent photograph. The forecasts, whilst not wildly out, haven’t been that accurate and the wind was far stronger than forecast – which was fine by us and we motor sailed most of the way down from Tobermory until our course headed more south easterly when we managed to get all the sails up.

Whilst not as strong as some of the tidal gates and streams nearby, the stream between Lismore Lighthouse and Lady’s Rock at the southern end of The Sound of Mull runs at a good 3 knots at spring tides. On other occasions when we have traversed this bit of water it has been blowing a hoolie or just a lumpy sea. Today it was a flat calm with wind and tide in the same direction and we saw many small whirlpools, overflows and strange currents where Jess would suddenly veer off in a different direction.

We are taking Jess across Oban Bay tomorrow morning to Oban Transit Marina we have some messages to get and we will spend the night there waiting on Gary joining us on Thursday.

Comments are closed