Couple of Maintenance Jobs

Last week I discovered a leak coming from the hot water system, it wasn’t much, but enough to cause a puddle of water under the sink and something that definitely wasn’t going to get any better and probably fail at the most inopportune moment. The water pump kicks in when there is a drop in water pressure in the system and this leak caused the pump to start every so often, which was most annoying at night. I contacted Jabsco, who were very quick to respond, and ordered what I now know is the accumulator tank. The tank, pump and filter are all bolted to a board which is in turn bolted to the bulkhead under the sink. The tank was accessible but awkwardly placed behind the cooler compressor.. The new tank looked slightly different to the old one which, as it turned out, made a significant difference to fitting it on the board.

The water system must have been fitted some considerable time ago as the the hoses were very much welded to the connectors and I eventually had to cut them off in order to free the tank which meant a trip to the chandlers for extra hose and clips. I fitted these only to find that the connectors on the new tank were significantly longer than the old and there was no way I was going to be able to fit the tank using the current configuration. After much cutting, a second trip to the chandlers for more hose, clips and connectors, I eventually managed to reroute the hoses and reassemble the whole thing. A test produced a couple of leaks but quickly solved by tightening the clips.

Not as neat as the original installation, but it’s now leak free and won’t waken me in the middle of the night.

On the last trip we had a day of miserable rain and I noticed just how slippy the gangway steps became if the hatch wasn’t closed and they got wet. I ordered some anti slip tape from eBay. Easy to fit and very effective, no idea why I didn’t do it before.